logo.gif

Kelly's 1876 Directory

logo.gif



Back

Home 

Entry for Hollesley

Hollesley is a parish and village on the sea-coast, 8 miles south-east of Woodbridge and 6 ½ south-east from Melton station on the Ipswich and Lowestoft section of the Great Eastern railway, in the South Eastern division of the country, Wilford hundred, Woodbridge petty seasonal division, union and county court district, Wilford rural deanery, archdeaconry of Suffolk and diocese of Norwich.  The church of All Saints is a building of flint in the Early English and Perpendicular styles, consisting of chancel, nave, north aisle and a lofty embattled western tower containing 3 bells: the church was restored in 1886, at a cost of £2,000, under the direction of Mr. Herbert J. Green, architect, of Norwich, when the north aisle was added, a new roof put on, the walls cased with flint, and partly rebuilt from the foundations; during the restoration an arcade of four Early English arches was discovered: there are 250 sittings.  The register dates from the year 1623.  The living is a rectory, average tithe rest-charge £725; net yearly value £610, with 30 acres of glebe and residence, in the fift of Capt. Algernon Waller Cobbold, and held since1884 by the Rev. Robert Lawrance M.A. of St John's College, Cambridge.  The principal landowners are the Colonial College and Training Farms Limited, who are lords of the manor, Lord Rendlesham and Captain Algernon W. Cobbold.  The soil is light; subsoil, crag and loam.  The chief crops are wheat and barley.  The area is 3,981 acres of land and 127 of water; rateable value, £4,346; the population in 1891 was 607.

Parish Clerk, William Folke.

Post & M. O. O., S. B. & Annuity & Insurance Office.- Edward Lennard, postmaster.  Letters arrive from Woodbridge at 6.30am; box closes at 5p.m. in winter and 6 p.m. in summer.  The nearest telegraph office is at Melton

Wall Letter Box, cleared at 12 & 6.15 p.m.; sundays 10.55 a.m

The Colonial College & Training Farms Limited has been established here, under the auspices of the Agents General of the Colonies & other distinguished persons, for the training of young gentlemen intending to become colonists; the estate extends over 1,800 acres of varied soil; Robert Johnson, resident director; C. G. Freer Thonger M.R.A.C. professor of agriculture; E. Lionel Stroud M.R.C.V.S. professor of veterinary science; Herbert Jenkins, secretary & instructor in bookkeeping, Hollesley Bay

A School Board of 5 members was formed 11 Nov 1874; William Arnott, Woodbridge, clerk to the board & attendance officer

Board School (mixed), erected in 1877, at a cost of £1,500, for 100 children; average attendance, 82; George Cooke, master

Carriers to Woodbridge.- Miles Middleditch & henry Ling, mon, thurs & sat

PRIVATE RESIDENTS
Cobbold Capt. Algernon Waller J.P. The Lodge
Johnson Arthur, The Grove
Lawrance Rev. Robert M.A. Rectory

Residents in the Colonial College.
Hedges John J. M.S.E.
Jenkins Herbert (secretary)
Johnson Robert (resident director)
Stroud E. Lionel
Thonger C.G. Freer M.R.A.C.
Goodwyn George J. farm manager to the Colonial College, The Cottage

COMMERCIAL
Andrews Jonathan, farmer
Balls George Dalby, machinist
Beeton Walter, builder
Bloomfield Frederick, shopkeeper
Boon Robert, shopkeeper
Folke William, cooper & basket mkr
Holmes Colin, boot maker
Lennard Alfred Ransby, farmer & assistant overseer
Lennard Edward, shopkpr. Post office
Levett Charles, blacksmith
Ling Henry, carrier
McQuire. Jas. & Co. grocers & drprs
Middleditch Mary Ann (Mrs.), beer ret.
Middleditch Miles, carrier
Page Leonora (Mrs.), farmer
Pottle Robert, shopkeeper
Reed Thomas, Fox inn
Sharman John, shoe maker
Smith William, farm bailiff tom Capt. A.W. Cobbold
Stebbings William, farmer
Threadkell William, farmer
Woods Arthur, farm steward to the Colonial College


For email address go to Contact link on home page                                 Page last updated Sunday 1st December 2013